Waihi Beach Information centre
The Info Centre is located in the Waihi Beach Village, opposite the Four Square on Wilson Rd. The Centre has been a major 2015/2016 project for Waihi Beach Community Events & Promotions (WBE&P). Although a new building for us, it has an interesting history. It was originally an ice cream shop at the north end of Waihi Beach until it was re-located to the beachfront of the Flatwhite Café on Shaw Rd where it was primarily a bach. Now, and with the generous assistance of the Waihi Beach Community Board, local and Waihi businesses and the dogged determination by a group of volunteer individuals, WBE&P look forward to finally having a long term all-weather facility. The Centre is open every day over the summer holidays and during long weekends. This is the go-to place for information on places to stay, things to do, events and much more. Our band of friendly volunteers know all that you will need to know about Waihi Beach to ensure that you have a great experience.
You can also join us online on our daily updated Facebook page: www.facebook.com/waihibeachinfo
Waihi Beach Village
Waihi Beach Village centre offers everything you need for your time here including a chemist, Home Hardware store, dairy, cafes, restaurants & takeaways, Four Square, giftware stores, quality clothing & shoe stores, a chocolate shop and more.
In the surrounding streets you will also find a G.A.S petrol station (Beach Rd), Waihi Beach Medical Centre, veterinarian, childcare centres, kindergarten, primary school, RSA, surf school, dairies, takeways and even our own airport, plus much more.
View the Directory on this website for more information about local businesses.
Located on Seaview Rd, Pohutukawa Park plays host to various community events over the summer.
The Tennis Club has six courts that are available for casual court hire and hosts a well-supported tournament programme. Situated on a hill and bordered by towering pohutukawa trees, the tennis courts have stunning views out to sea. The Soundshell has historically provided a venue for outdoor entertainment, and continues to do so, in a natural amphiteatre like environment.
Free Wi-Fi is available in the Library at the Community Centre – located on Beach Rd (next to the school), and at many of the local cafes. There are also numerous free Spark Wi-Fi sites around Waihi Beach.
- The RSA runs a Shoppers’ Van, from the Beach into Waihi once a week. The bus will collect you from your home and drop you back again. The service is free for Super Gold Card holders. To book please contact the RSA on 07 863 5688.
- St John also provides a Health Shuttle service for essential medical and health related appointments. To book a Health Shuttle call 0800 000 606. Please note that this is a free service but they do appreciate donations.
- Intercity no longer stops at Waihi Beach but does stop at Waihi.
Waihi Beach Community Police Station & Victim Support
The Station is run on a police and trained volunteer basis. For all emergencies call 111. For general enquiries call the Waihi Station, 07 863-8179. Victim Support can be contacted via 0800 842 846.
Rubbish & Recycling
The Athenree Recycle Centre on Steele Road accepts recyclables free of charge. There is a fee for green waste. Opening hours are Thursday 1pm-4pm, Saturday 9am-12 noon and Sunday 1pm-4pm. There are extended hours over the peak summer period from the start of the Christmas holiday period until the end of January. Check with either the Western Bay of Plenty District Council, the Waihi Beach Info website or on the Athenree Recycle Centre gate signage for up-to-date opening hours.
Waihi has a recycle and general waste centre on Dean Cresent. Open hours are 10.00am to 4.00pm Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It is closed Tuesday, Thursday and all Public Holidays. The Athenree Recycle Centre does not accept household rubbish.
A weekly collection is made every Monday by Environmental Green Bins (EGB), including public holidays. Place bags on the roadside by 7.30am. The official green bags can be purchased from local supermarkets and dairies. Non-official bags will not be collected. For issues with collection please contact EGB on 07 543 1098
If water restrictions are in place these will be advised in local newspapers and on the Western Bay of Plenty District Council website. Please value our environment and use water wisely.
There are top quality and friendly camping grounds at Waihi Beach, Bowentown and Athenree. These are Waihi Beach Top 10, Beachaven, Bowentown Beach Holiday Park and Athenree Hot Springs & Holiday Park.
The nearest DOC campsite for tents and camper vehicles is at Dickey’s Flat in the Karangahake Gorge. Please note you cannot book for this campground, it operates on a first-come-first-served basis. All camping on reserves is strictly prohibited.
Freedom camping is only available to self-contained certified vehicles in designated areas – please check with the Western Bay of Plenty District Council for up-to-date locations and times that you can occupy. Contact www.westernbay.govt.nz and search for “Freedom Camping” or phone 0800 926 732.
Effluent Dump Stations
There is a self-service dump station at Island View Reserve on Seaforth Road, Waihi Beach. There are other sites available in the Western Bay, details of which are available on the Western Bay of Plenty District Council website.
Vehicles on the Beach
Vehicles and motorcycles are not permitted on the beach or sand dunes.
Dogs are allowed in some areas and not in others for the safety of people and our natural wildlife (we have bird nesting areas in the dunes). At all times they must be kept under proper control and doggy-doo must be bagged and removed.
- Dogs are not permitted on scenic reserves or at playgrounds at any time.
- Dogs may be exercised year-round between Albacore Avenue and Plom Road (which is the stretch of beach between Waihi Beach & Bowentown).
- Dogs are banned from all other areas on the beach during the summer months from the third Wednesday in December until the second week of February between the hours of 9am and 7pm.
- The Island View Reserve is restricted to dogs on a leash area between October and March as birds are nesting within the reserve during this period.
Please keep horses under proper control and collect and remove any horsey-doo, as the beach is a playground for us all.
- Horses and other stock are not permitted on the beach at any time from Island View to the North End of Waihi Beach.
- Horses are permitted on the foreshore from Albacore Ave to Pio Rd (which is the stretch of beach between Waihi Beach & Bowentown)
- Horses are banned from the beach from the third Wednesday in December until the second Wednesday in February, between the hours of 9am and 7pm.
The Liquor Ban is in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year on all reserves, beaches and public places in the Waihi Beach area.
A "restricted fire season" is imposed on 1 October and remains in force until 30 April in the following year. A permit to burn is required during this period. Permits for traditional cooking fires and braziers may be issued for specific dates during the festive season, such as Christmas and Boxing Day.
There are three fire seasons:
- Open - no permits are required for open-air fires.
- Restricted - fires are allowed, provided they meet certain criteria. A fire permit is required for all open-air fires, with the exception of gas-powered barbecues.
- Prohibited - a total ban applies to all open-air fires. An exemption may be made and a 'Special Permit' issues for emergency purposes. A "prohibited fire season" may be imposed at any time, dependent on prevailing weather conditions and degree of fire risk.
Fire season status is notified by public notice in local newspapers. Total fire bans are notified by all available means, including roadside signs. Please contact the Western Bay of Plenty District Council for further information on 0800 926 732.
Library Hours and Western Bay of Plenty District Council Area Office
The Library and District Council office are located on Beach Rd at the Community Centre.
- Tuesday and Friday: 8.30am - 5.00pm
- Saturday - 9.00am - 12 noon
- For extended hours over the summer holiday period please contact the library on
07 863 5609.
Local library membership is $2. Temporary library membership is available at a charge of $50 with a refund of $45 when you leave the beach, provided all books are returned.
St Peter’s By The Sea, Marine Avenue
Ph: 07 863-4342
Beach Christian Centre
Waihi Beach School, 100 Beach Rd
Pastors: Ryan & Emma Pollard
Ph: 07 863-5678
1st & 3rd Sundays of the month
Weekdays: Thursday 9am
Stella Maris, Fyfe Road
Holidays: see notice board for extra services.
General Enquiries to the Catholic Church – Ph: 07 863 8998
Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist and
Mainly Music is on Friday 10.15am -11.30am during school terms